Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Healing power of God

While going thru medical tests, I was told by a well meaning friend that I didn't need to go through these actions or follow the recommendations. My friend said, "If you truly believed in Jesus Christ's ability to heal you, since he died on the cross for you; you are already healed." How do I respond?
Rooting for a reply

Dear Rooting,
            I’ll take the easy part first: Your question is, “How do I respond?” I would recommend a sincere, “I do believe Jesus died for me, and I know he is in charge of my life. Thank you for your prayers;” then change the subject. I suspect, however, you’re not really asking how you should simply respond to her statement. Rather, you may be wondering about the legitimacy of your friend’s beliefs and how or if you should respond to those beliefs. That’s a little more complicated.
            There is a large contingent of devoted Christians who believe doctors and medicines are unnecessary for faithful Christians. Like your friend, their belief is that Jesus will heal those who fully believe. To them, taking medicine or going to a doctor is a sign of doubt. The scriptures describing miraculous healings and Jesus’ reference to a person’s level of faith do tend to add some justification for their belief. On the other hand, there is probably an equally large group of Christians who believe God is not in the miraculous healing business any more. As is typically the case, the truth lies between the extremes. Since you posed the question to little ole me, here is my position in a nutshell.
            I do believe God is still in the healing business because the Bible supports it and I’ve seen it. However, God was also gracious enough to give us a very unique instrument called a brain. With that, and the Spirit’s guidance, we (doctors, nurses, EMS, etc.) can work in tandem with God to bring healing to others. Think of it this way: God can miraculously move mountains if he wants to, but God enabled humanity to invent bulldozers. God could miraculously build houses for the poor and homeless; instead he gives us skills and compassion to build them on his behalf. God could write his message of Christ’s love across the sky, but he has chosen to work through us as his ambassadors. Yes, God can and does often heal miraculously, but just as often, he calls us to partner with him to heal and change the world. Doctors are as much a part of that calling to heal the body as psychologists are for the mind and ministers are for the soul. It’s not an either-or choice; chose faith or a physician. It should be both-and.
            With that said, about your possible response; keep two things in mind: 1) You will never be able to argue anyone into a specific belief. Let your friend share his/her belief and thank him/her for it. If your friend asks for your opinion, share it. If your friend is a true friend, the two of you will enjoy a good conversation about the diversity of faith and the beauty of God.
2) I don’t know the details of your medical condition, but I do know the last thing you need to add to the probable anxiety you feel is a good dose of guilt. If your friend feels it necessary to push the issue of having enough faith, an honest and clear response could be, “Bob/Jane, what you’ve said has given me something to think about, but right now, I need you to simply be a caring friend who cries and prays with me,” then smile.
            I’ll be praying.

JimBob