Thursday, January 20, 2011

Once Saved Always Saved

Dear JimBob, I have a simple question: Can someone lose their salvation?
Signed
Secure

Dear Secure,
            Since this is another one of those joyfully easy questions to answer, so easy, in fact, that theologian have been debating it for 2000 years, I’ll simply offer my biblically based opinion and how this question informs my preaching.
            In Matthew 13, Jesus tells the parable of the sower. In that parable a man sows seed among different types of soil. When Jesus explained the parable to his disciples and reached the point where he described the seed that was sown in the rocks, he referenced the shallow soil that allowed the seed to take root quickly. Jesus said this about that the plant that grew in that shallow soil, “When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away” (Matt. 13:21). Evidently Jesus believed that someone could begin a relationship with God and then “fall away” because of life’s troubles.
Similarly, Paul says in Romans 11:22, “Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.” The interesting thing about this verse is that Paul then follows what sounds like a clear indication that people can be cut off from a relationship with God by talking about the disobedient Jews who will still be saved because of God’s faithfulness. Paul ends that somewhat contradictory chapter by quoting from both Isaiah and Job which paraphrased, basically says, “I know this doesn’t make sense, but remember, we’re talking about God. If we could figure out God, do you really think we would have the right God?” Though those two instances—as well as others—point to the possibility of someone being able to loose his salvation, there are as many, if not more, scriptures that seem to state that God’s faithfulness always overcomes any sinfulness that might seek to destroy a person’s relationship with Him.
            Since a biblical argument can be made for both positions, I tend to lean toward the possibility that a person can walk away from his relationship with God. I tend to lean that direction because the more I read the Bible and understand the reason Christ came, the more I’m convinced that God is seeking a relationship with us and not a one time transaction. What I mean is if my sole purpose is to “Get my ticket on the soul train to heaven” by professing Jesus as Lord, then “once saved always saved” makes sense. I bought my ticket and no one can cancel out my guarantee. But the essence of the Christian faith is not a ticket to be purchased but a relationship to be experienced and matured into. If that’s the case, then like any other relationship, I have the ability and free will to choose to walk away from that relationship.
            As I said, this is not a new discussion, and it’s certainly not the first time I’ve ever had the question posed. Typically at this point in the conversation, someone will say, “If a person walks away from Christ, they were never saved in the first place.” I would answer by again pointing them toward Matthew 13 and the possibility that Jesus was saying that someone could.
            I fully understand the power and encouragement of “once saved always saved.” That belief offers a sense of security and comfort knowing that my eternal destiny is firmly established not by what I do or don’t do, but by what Christ has already done. However, there is also a very powerful negative ramification to the “once saved” belief: it frequently leads to lazy and anemic faith. You can see the same dynamic play out in marriage. The spouse who believes the work is done when he says, “I do,” is going to end up with a pitifully shallow and meaningless marriage. “I do” may be an end, but it’s the front end of the marriage. To truly be married, one has to choose daily to work on the relationship. “Once saved” seems to lull many Christians into a lazy and shallow faith because, “What do I have to worry about? I have my ticket, and now I can do whatever I want.”
            Let’s say, for argument’s sake, that I’m wrong but I continue to question “once saved.” If I am wrong then all I’ve perpetuated is responsible faith; persons would still be saved any way. But, if my suspicion is correct, then in some small way, I may help someone become more intentional about experiencing the ongoing and powerful presence of God in her life because she kept working on it.

Jim

If you would like to pose a question anonymously, click here.